Two friends

Art of friends is the name of my blog. A friend is anyone whose company you cherish. Here are two great friends I came across.

People are used to hearing grandma’s tales. To me however it was grandpa’s tales. My grandmothers, both were so intent on pleasing me with the tastiest dishes on the planet. The tales I heard from my grandfathers were the first proper bedtime tales.
I start with the maternal grandpa. I still remember his ‘Vaathapi jeernaapi’ story as though it happened yesterday. His life has not been a bed of roses but he has always found time for me. Right from the time in my childhood when he brought me snacks in a small packet during his weekend visits, to the time when he settled a feud with his brother just because I said so, he has seen me as an equal. I admire that. In an era where elders see squat in the opinion of youngsters, he has always valued my words. I write today, poems and stories in English and Tamil. If it were due to genes then I guess that I got it from him. I can never write the way he does with such skill and expertise but I can try hard to be atleast half as good. I only hope that he listens to me and quits on beetel leaves too. He has always been the first one to avoid arguments and one of the first in his generation to treat a son and a daughter equally. He has been a good and a really patient father and a really encouraging and motivating grandfather.

My paternal grandpa is a child by heart. I remember the time when we used to play cricket and he used to bowl to me with high energy and a wide smile. His stories that often used the words ‘andhaala…..’ were a joy to hear. I heard the story of sivaji ganesan’s all time classic ‘manohara’ from him and trust me, he narrated it even better. He does sincerely a puja everyday and that is something to admire. He walks as fast as I jog and never tires of it. We share the fear of syringes and trust me, syringes are scary. My dad always says that his father was a damn good one and he has played the role of a grandfather in the same damn good way. Something I can never forget is the way he plays carom. I am the only one in my family to have beaten him in a contest fair and square but it was just the once. I haven’t been able to repeat the feat. According to me, no one can ever truly beat him at his best for m. I see his creativity when he decorates the ‘golu’ during Navarathri and his inquisitiveness when he competes with me in video games.
I have had two wonderful friends. I don’t know how many have friends in their grandfathers but trust me when I say that it is awesome
Q

No comments:

Search This Blog